Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hello World! First Post.

When I was a young girl, my grandma would sew a lot. She did a lot of embroidery on towels and quilts, and taught me the basics of sewing. My other grandma did A LOT of sewing, she had 13 kids and made clothes for all of them! I didn't get the opportunity to work with her on any sewing projects, because she lived half a continent away sadly. But I really admired the outfits she made for my mom, they are really neat!

the colorful quiltAfter they died in 2008, about 9 months apart, I was very sad and doing any kind of sewing just reminded me of them and made me even more sad. So I pushed my little sewing kit to the back of my closet, and pulled out one of the colorful quilts my grandma made (in the picture) and put it on my bed. 

Four years have passed. I have moved and in these new surroundings, there is very limited space. There is also a new challenge in that my amazing boyfriend, has some very touchy allergies. Wool, pollen, Tide laundry detergent, and dust, are only a few on the long list. Because of this I had to go through my things and throw a lot of clothes and items out. That acrylic fur on winter coats look really cute but collect a lot of dust and will immediately make my boyfriend break out in itchy hives if he touches it. No hugs if i wear a coat like that. :'( So I now can only wear my leather jacket. I also had to leave behind the colorful quilt my grandma made.

I only brought one small plastic tote of clothes, and two pairs of shoes with me when moving to the city to be with my boyfriend. Because space is so very limited. While sitting here in my corner of the main room surfing the web, feeling as if that were the only thing I could possibly do here with this little space. A lightbulb appeared over my head. I thought, "Hey! I could still hand sew things!" After surfing the web more, watching some Project Runway, and looking at Pinterest, I thought alright I can do this. Sewing supplies are small, fabric is the only concern, trying to think where can I put it? I also can only work with a handful of fabrics and must avoid a few. I could possibly make a new colorful quilt out of fabrics that are "safe" as I call it now because they aren't irritating to him. 

me with safety glassesI've realized that I like building things. Don't think I look too bad with safety glasses on either hehe but there's me in the picture. I work in manufacturing (have been for 5 years now) and yes it is monotonous as a machine operator or line assembler where you are only doing one thing all day every day in one spot on the line, but it is very interesting to step back and see the entire production line. You can see at the beginning of the line raw materials start to form into recognizable small parts. In the middle of the line the small parts are being assembled and more parts added. Then at the end of the line the final assembly and finishing touches are added and you see the finished product, ready to be packaged and shipped out to the customer.

The most rewarding part is leaving work and seeing that very product that your line builds every day, be on a shelf in the store, or seeing it actually being used to fulfill it's purpose out in the field. Every time I see that I feel great, and proud to point it out to my friends and family that ask, "What do you do for a living?"

So I thought sewing is essentially joining pieces of fabric together to fulfill a purpose of covering a table, a chair, a pillow, or a person's privates as clothing. Perfect! I love it already! Now I NEED to do this! I also wanted to write a blog about something but had no clue what to write about. Double score! 

No comments:

Post a Comment